In this discipline programming and administration in multi-user operating systems are considered. Main principles are considered of development, functioning and usage of modern multi-user and multi-tasking operating systems. The details are presented of the command line interpreters, file systems, synchronization and communication of processes and the functioning of the input-output system. The concepts are considered of the distributed systems and the main functions of the operating system kernel for network applications development.
Main issues of the syllabus content:
- Details of multi-user operating systems. Users and groups.
- Command line interpreters. Scripts. Script languages.
- File systems
- Management of input-output system. Special files. Management of input-output buffers. Synchronous and asynchronous input-output.
- Management of processes. Synchronization and communication of processes.
- Inter-process communication. Messages, shared memory and semaphores.